Dr. Gerald (Gerry) Carr
Emeritus Professor of Botany
Department of Botany and Plant Pathology
Oregon State University
Cordley Hall 2082
Corvallis, OR 97331-2902
- BS 1968, Eastern Washington University (Biology)
- MS 1970, University of Wisconsin (Milwaukee) (Botany)
- PhD 1975, University of California, Davis (Botany)
Botany, Amateur Radio, Photography, Computers, Music
Biosystematics, Cytogenetics, Chromosome Evolution, Vascular Plant Families
- Biosystematics, cytogenetics, and adaptive radiation of the Hawaiian silversword
- Chromosome evolution in Calycadenia
- Oregon Flora Image Project
- Emeritus, University of Hawaii
- Affiliate Faculty, Department of Botany and Plant Pathology, Oregon State
WWW Pages (including ca. 40,000 images)
- Vascular Plant Families - This is a collection of
descriptions and captioned images of vascular plant families for use in instruction. More
than 225 families are represented among the several hundred images in this category.
Alphabetic and phylogenetic presentations are provided.
- Manoa Campus Plants - More than 325 species of plants on
the campus of the University of Hawaii at Manoa are characterized in words and over 400
color images. Common names, family names, scientific names, campus locations, and notes of
interests are provided for each species. (minor additions and revisions will occur from
time to time)
- Hawaiian Silversword Alliance - All 31 species of Argyroxiphium,
Dubautia, and Wilkesia comprising the Hawaiian silversword alliance are
illustrated and characterized. Features of the adaptive radiation of this group, including
stature and habit, flower and fruit diversity, leaf morphology and anatomy, ecological and
physiological adaptations, chromosomal diversity, chemical evolution, genetic variation,
hybridization, molecular evolution, and origin and relationships are treated in a series
of expository web pages. (text incomplete but most images in place).
- Asteraceae (Madiinae) - A conspectus of the
group of largely North American genera that spawned (and includes) the
Hawaiian silversword alliance. This theme
area complements TARWEEDS AND SILVERSWORDS:
Evolution of the Madiinae (Asteraceae), Carlquist,
Baldwin, and Carr, eds., Missouri Botanical Garden Press.
- Hawaiian native plants - This is a collection of
several hundred images of plants occurring naturally in Hawaii. Most of these species are endemic, i.e.,
unique to Hawaii.
- Oregon Flora Image
Project - Ongoing development of high resolution images for
identification of Oregon plants (also useful for reinforcing plant family
characteristics and concepts). NEW!